Search This Blog

Monday 18 February 2013

Dangerous lamp found in holiday cottage

Thanks to Jim Ransley of Cornish Quay Holidays Ltd for the information used in this post. Along with the images supplied, the e-mail from Jim says it all so I have reproduced this in whole.

Dear Seggy,

I have attached three photo's which I thought you might like for your pat testing blog? They are of a lamp that started out life as a Class 2 appliance. Then a nasty DIY repair changed it into a rather dangerous hybrid by fitting a metal lamp holder in place of the original plastic one. 



This clearly states that it must be earthed. The reason I found this item interesting was because if you test it as Class 2 on a PAT tester it will pass. There is no substitute for practical inspection and a working knowledge of safe electrical practice. Needless to say a replacement plastic bulb holder has now been fitted.


I mainly do testing in holiday cottages, so I get to see a lot of lamps!

I am a relative newbie to testing having gained my 2377 in late 2011. I have a copy of your book, "Handbook of PAT Testing" which I found to be excellent as it gave practical examples for all of the appliances I typically encounter.

I have just subscribed to your newsletter and hope the photo's will repay you a little bit for all the information you freely impart online.

Kind regards,

Jim Ransley - Director

No comments:

Post a Comment